Thursday, October 14, 2010

Do you like it, really??

Over the past few years, I have been asked many times if I “like” baseball just because of Seth. I guess some may find it hard to believe that before Seth ever came into the picture I went to my brother’s little league and high school games…to Braves and Cardinals games…to Freed and Auburn games…and I greatly enjoyed it ALL!! I may not have the same passion for baseball that my husband does, but I still enjoy a sunny spring afternoon at any ballpark. I consider myself very blessed that my husband’s favorite pastime is something that I can easily enjoy with him!

If you were to ask me who one of my favorite ballplayers is, I would say Josh Hamilton. The past few days I have been reading his book “Beyond Belief.” I liked him before reading the whole story of his decline, but now I am even more impressed with him. It is absolutely amazing that this young man survived the things that he put himself through. I find it even more impressive that he only blames himself and is not ashamed to give all the glory to God for his success. Even though we may not have exactly the same beliefs and even though he has made other mistakes …I am still impressed with his attitude and determination.

If you were to ask me who my favorite team is…I would have to say…yeahhh, don’t have one…not that big of a fan! :) Ha! But who am I pulling for in the playoffs this year?? The Texas Rangers! Seth and I watched them beat the Rays a couple nights ago. When they went to the locker room to celebrate, I mentioned to Seth that it looked like they were using soda instead of champagne. Was that really what I saw?? Then the next day I read this article, solidifying my support of the Rangers this year!


“In the minutes after the Texas Rangers clinched their first division title in 11 years, the team’s best player hid in the trainer’s room. Josh Hamilton is the leading candidate for the American League MVP award. He’s also made a remarkable recovery since his nascent career was derailed by crippling addiction to drugs and alcohol. So when his teammates popped champagne after clinching in late September, Hamilton absented himself. While the team whooped it up, Hamilton left early to address church groups. Mindful of his absence, the Rangers re-jigged their celebrations after Tuesday night’s Game 5 win over the Tampa Bay Rays. This time, as Hamilton jogged into the tunnel toward the visitor’s clubhouse at Tropicana Field, team staffers stopped him and gave him a pair of goggles. As Hamilton walked warily into the locker room, teammates screamed “Ginger ale!” and doused him with bottles of Canada Dry. “It was the coolest thing for my teammates to understand why I can't be a part of the celebration, and for them to adapt it for me to be a part of it says a lot about my teammates,” Hamilton said afterward." ... "Asked to describe his bumpy journey to stardom, Hamilton once told ESPN, “I’m proof that hope is never lost.” "

Now, that’s pretty classy of his teammates if you ask me!!

2 comments:

Julie Young said...

I had not heard about this. Thanks for sharing.

Becky W said...

We are right there with you. We have always liked the Rangers and Josh Hamilton is one of Carter's many favorites - his jersey is on Santa list this year. Hope all is going well!